JOB TITLE: Vice President of Nursing & Chief Nursing Officer, Geisinger Northeast
LOCATION: Northeastern Pennsylvania
DEPARTMENT: Administration, Geisinger Northeast
WORK SCHEDULE: Days
WORK TYPE: Full Time
The Vice President of Nursing & Chief Nursing Officer is the top nursing executive within Geisinger’s Northeast Region responsible for organizing, planning, directing and evaluating all nursing practice and professionalism functions. Recommends, leads development of, and assists in implementation of policies and procedures to improve efficiency and delivery of quality nursing services. Partners closely with operational leaders (CAO, CFO, and CMO) to design and implement nursing strategy across the Northeast Region in alignment with the system nursing strategy to improve quality, patient care, efficiency and cost. Major duties and responsibilities include:
Translates the region’s vision into nursing practice and professionalism in alignment with the system nursing practice standards. Responsible for designing, implementing, measuring and continuously improving region-level nursing engagement and patient care programs.
Supports the development, implementation and management of nursing patient services to improve quality, patient access and patient care. Responsible for theory of practice of nursing: standards of care, credentialing, licensing, and professional development for non-medical nursing staff professionals at a regional level.
Defines and oversees appropriate nursing continuing education, training, and research activities within the region. Participates in continuing educational programs to expand knowledge of professional discipline; participates in health-related associations to maintain expertise and promote interests of nursing, the region and the system.
Ensures effective public and community relations, including relationships with other providers, both internal and external to the system, and other relevant constituencies and partnerships including collaboration with the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine and other approved educational partners.
Competencies & Skills:
· Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, productivity methods, care & coverage and coordination of care in the inpatient and outpatient settings.
· Attracts, develops, and retains talent by creating an inclusive work environment that fosters employee engagement by building relationships of trust through active listening, empowering, caring, support and coaching.
· Drives achievement of results by diagnosing business issues, setting high standards, developing plan(s) and process(as), creating an atmosphere of high performance, and holding others accountable.
· Motivates others to act by forging positive relationships internally and externally for the strategic benefit and outcome achievement of the system’s mission and goals. Demonstrates integrity, trust, accountability, collaboration, and empathy in all interactions.
· Builds strong and lasting relationships within own department and across departments through collaboration, mutual respect, shared decision making, credibility, reliability and communication while always keeping the system’s mission in the forefront of working relationships.
· Acts as a catalyst for change and innovation; energizes others to embrace change and champions the transformation of the organization in new and effective directions.
· Drives for continuous improvement through people, processes and systems with focus on excellence in service, quality and safety.
· Formulates objectives and priorities, and implements plans aligned to the system’s mission and long-term interests. Builds a shared vision with others and acts as a catalyst to transform and pursue organizational change.
Education & Experience:
Required Experience: 10 years of executive leadership experience with increasing responsibility in clinical nursing and nursing leadership. Experience in multiple delivery settings including inpatient, outpatient and integrated delivery systems. Experience navigating highly matrixed or complex organizations and the ability to forge relationships with key stakeholders in nursing and beyond.
Preferred Experience: Experience with academic nursing and nursing research.
Required Education: Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree and Master of Science degree in nursing, business or related field.
Preferred Education: Doctoral degree in nursing
Required Certifications or Licensures:Pennsylvania RN license
Working Conditions/Physical Demands:
Work is done in various settings including office, hospital, and physician office. Independent travel is required.
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements considered necessary to successfully perform the job.
OUR PURPOSE & VALUES: Everything we do is about caring for our patients, our members, our students, our Geisinger family and our communities. KINDNESS: We strive to treat everyone as we would hope to be treated ourselves. EXCELLENCE: We treasure colleagues who humbly strive for excellence. LEARNING: We share our knowledge with the best and brightest to better prepare the caregivers for tomorrow. INNOVATION: We constantly seek new and better ways to care for our patients, our members, our community, and the nation.
ABOUT GEISINGER: Geisinger is a physician-led health system comprised of approximately 30,000 employees, including nearly 1,600 employed physicians, 13 hospital campuses, two research centers, and a 583,000-member health plan Geisinger is nationally recognized for innovative practices and quality care. Geisinger serves more than 3 million people in central, south-central and northeast Pennsylvania and also in southern New Jersey with the addition of National Malcolm Baldridge Award recipient AtlantiCare, A member of Geisinger. In 2017, the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine became the newest member of the Geisinger Family.
We offer healthcare benefits for full time and part time positions from day one, including vision, dental and domestic partners.* Perhaps just as important, from senior management on down, we encourage an atmosphere of collaboration, cooperation and collegiality. For more information, visit www.geisinger.org, or connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.
At Geisinger, our innovative ideas are inspired by the communities we serve – like our Fresh Food
Farmacy, a program that delivers life-saving healthy alternatives to patients with diabetes. With additional tools like our MyCode Community Health Initiative, one of the first health system genome sequencing
programs, and our new asthma app suite that we developed in partnership with AstraZeneca, it’s no wonder we’re ranked one of the Top 5 Most Innovative Healthcare Systems by Becker's Hospital Review. We continually work towards continuous improvement in a culture where everyone has a voice and firmly believe that better begins with all of us.
Founded more than 100 years ago, Geisinger serves more than three million residents throughout central, south-central and northeastern Pennsylvania and southern New Jersey. Our physician-led system is comprised of 30,000 employees, including 1,600 employed physicians, and consists of 13 hospital campuses, the Geisinger Health Plan, Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine and two research centers.
What you do at Geisinger shapes the future of health and improves lives – for our patients, communities, and you.