This position requires the full understanding and active participation in fulfilling the mission of Orange Coast Medical Center. It is expected that the employee demonstrate behavior consistent with our core values: Integrity, Accountability, Best Practices, Compassion and Synergy. The employee shall support Orange Coast Medical Center’s strategic plan and participate in and advocate performance improvement/patient safety activities.
The Registered Dietitian (RD) II is a journey level position that reflects an advanced level of practice reinforced with Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND), Commission for Dietetic Registration, American Society for Enteral and Parenteral Nutrition (ASPEN) or other conferred specialty certification. The RD II is responsible for collaborating with members of the health care team to provide patients medical nutrition therapy (MNT) using current, scientific literature and best practices. Utilizing the Nutrition Care Process, the RD II performs nutrition assessment and re-assessment, diagnoses nutrition-related problems, determines and implements appropriate interventions, monitors and evaluates the outcome of interventions. The RD II provides nutritional counseling and education to patients, caregivers, and family members as needed. In addition, the RD II participates with performance improvement (PI) activities, community education, teaching the bariatric class, outpatient services, interdisciplinary patient rounds, partnership councils, the Nutrition Support Team, administrative and other related duties as assigned. He/she participates in or leads performance improvement activities and/or assignments. The RD II acts as a mentor to all other RDs and the Diet Office/Hostess Staff as needed. The RD II is a recognized leader within the hospital, nutrition community and serves as a community mentor and resource.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities of the Job
1. Apply expertise in normal and therapeutic nutrition, medical terminology and abbreviations; nutritional assessment and care planning; nutrition counseling and verbal and written communication as documented in the electronic medical record (EMR)
2. Ability to complete nutrition assessments on all patients nutritional risks levels and enter all pertinent data (clinical notes, acuity, follow-up, etc) into the EMR.
3. Ability to provide nutritional counseling to all patients on medical nutrition therapy as per scientific literature and best practices.
4. Ability to assist with monthly PI projects by gathering data and generate reports
5. Ability to effectively communicate verbally and written in English
6. Provide excellent customer service to ensure patients’ needs are met O-Q27834001v1
7. Communicate effectively with the Physicians and ancillary staff to implement nutrition recommendations and improve patient services.
8. Demonstrates the ability to apply infection control policies/procedures for safe food handling.
9. Ability to act as a mentor to all other RDs, and the Diet Office/Hostess Staff by assisting with in-services and guidance as needed
10. Demonstrate ability to contribute as a team member to complete tasks, resolve problems and achieve department goals.
11. Ability to maintain a clean working environment
12. Ability maintain criteria for RDII status
13. Ability to be at work and be on time
14. Ability to follow company policies, procedures and directives
15. Ability to interact in a positive and constructive manner