Optum is a global organization that delivers care, aided by technology to help millions of people live healthier lives. The work you do with our team will directly improve health outcomes by connecting people with the care, pharmacy benefits, data, and resources they need to feel their best. Come make an impact on the communities we serve as we help advance health equity on a global scale. Here, you will find talented peers, comprehensive benefits, a culture guided by diversity and inclusion, career growth opportunities and your life’s best work.SM
The Social Worker is responsible for establishing, coordinating, and maintaining the process to increase patient through-put to the most appropriate level of care while facilitating interdisciplinary care across the continuum. The Social Worker will act as patient advocate by helping to find resources and aid with problem solving and discharge planning for patients identified as having complex discharge needs or are identified as being at high risk for readmission. When medically appropriate, the Social Worker will help to arrange alternate care for patients after discharge, which may include rehabilitation facilities, skilled nursing facilities, hospice facilities, community support services, or assisted living homes.
The Social Worker has developed knowledge and skills in the completion of initial and concurrent assessments through the interview of the patient, family members and/or patient support persons, and members of the multidisciplinary team. The Social Worker will assist in the appropriate placement of complex patients based upon their determined needs through the facilitation of appropriate discharge plans.
The scope of practice will include patient and family assessment and management, resource management, financial resources, and facilitation of appropriate discharge plans for patients identified as at risk for readmission or identified with complex care needs post discharge. The SW collaborates with the Utilization Review Case Manager (URCM), RN Care Manager (RNCM), Financial Counselors, and the members of the multidisciplinary team. The Social Worker reports to the Manager of Care Management, and the Director of Care Management.
This position is full-time. It may be necessary, given the business need, to work occasional overtime or weekends. Our office is located at SSM De Paul Hospital, Saint Louis – 12303 De Paul Dr. Bridgeton, MO 63044.
- Complete initial and ongoing assessment specific to psychosocial, crisis intervention and discharge planning needs of patient and family/significant others across the age continuum.
- Identify physical, social, psychological, cultural, and spiritual variables which affect the patient and family/significant others across the age continuum to promote effective discharge outcomes.
- Determine knowledge and skill levels of patients and families/significant others for all age groups and incorporate this information into the discharge plan.
- Conduct initial and concurrent assessments to identify risk and potential discharge needs.
- Complete psychosocial assessments through interview of patient, family members and support persons
- Facilitate care management/care coordination for patients across the continuum of care by:
- Coordinate discharge plan in conjunction with patient and family/significant others, actively seeking their input in establishing goals and outcomes.
- Provide supportive counseling in regard to grief issues, crisis intervention, family conflict, adjustment to and understanding of patient's illness/disability/injury across the age continuum.
- Advocate for the patient and family/significant others in medical, ethical, and decision-making processes.
- Present options to patient and family/significant others to address their needs and assist them with decision-making process.
- Coordinate information and referrals for financial and community resources.
- Coordinate, facilitate and complete legal services as identified.
- Coordinate out of home placements and home care services.
- Verify insurance coverage for post-hospital services.
- Assist patients and families/significant others with completing Advanced Directives – Power of Attorney for Health Care.
- Contact prior providers, including ALFs and SNFs
- Provide Level of Care Choice options and community resources as appropriate
- Coordinate with Community Care Providers
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Master’s Degree (or higher) in Social Work, OR 3+ months or less from completion of a master’s degree in Social Work
- Ability to work onsite and possibility of minimal travel between hospital campuses
- Basic Microsoft Word skills
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state, and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation.
- 1+ years medical social work experience
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients, and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies required all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state, and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Already Fortune 5, we are totally focused on innovation and change. We work a little harder. We aim a little higher. We expect more from ourselves and each other. And at the end of the day, we're doing a lot of good.
Through our family of businesses and a lot of inspired individuals, we're building a high-performance health care system that works better for more people in more ways than ever. Now we're looking to reinforce our team with people who are decisive, brilliant – and built for speed.
Come to UnitedHealth Group and share your ideas and your passion for doing more. We have roles that will fit your skills and knowledge. We have diverse opportunities that will fit your dreams.
**PLEASE NOTE** The sign on bonus is only available to external candidates. Candidates who are currently working for a UnitedHealth Group, UnitedHealthcare or related entity in a full time, part time, or per diem basis ("Internal Candidates") are not eligible to receive a sign on bonus.
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone–of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location, and income–deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups, and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes — an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug – free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.